Thursday 15 November 2007

One less stress...


So. In addition to working and trying to get pregnant and trying to lose weight and just living life, I also sit on the board of my professional association. 'Cause hey, who needs free time?

I actually really enjoy it - don't get me wrong - but I'm looking forward to next year where hopefully I'll get the coveted position of 'Member at Large'. Which means I still get to be involved, but don't have responsibility for a specific portfolio.

This year's portfolio came to and end for me today. I was the Chair of our association's annual awards luncheon, and thankfully everything went off with nary a hitch.

It was a somewhat strange volunteer experience, I will say that. The manager of our chapter is the one who really does all the nitty gritty to set up everything that goes into putting together a luncheon for over 1,100 people. I just got to be involved in the higher level creative work like coming up with a theme and choosing the creative. Writing the script and interacting with the local media celebrity that emceed the event. Approving the centrepieces. All that fun stuff.

It just felt weird to manage a committee that never really got much of anything to do! Now, I realize I'm a control freak and that yes, it is important to know what's going on, so I surprised even myself this time around with how much I just took for granted and assumed would get done. I understand now that this is called letting go...interesting concept. Fortunately I had great faith in the manager's ability to get things done and leave few stones unturned, but still...this is all new to me! And to my committee for that matter.

It was great to hear so many people congratulate me for a job well done. Lots of my colleagues were there and it was great to hear their whoops when my name was called. My ego loved all that stroking but man, I felt like the tiniest bit of a fraud. I really didn't do that much - why the hell should I get all the credit?

Anyway, I made sure to tell anyone who'd listen that it was C, the manager, who actually did the lion's share of the work. Sharing the accolades made me feel a bit better about the whole thing, so by the end of it I actually was quite proud with what we'd accomplished.

And so today I breathe a sigh of relief that November 15th has come and gone, and everything went smashingly well. I'm really proud of my team and how they functioned so well in a very strange situation. And as much as I enjoyed all the pats on the back, I can't even begin to tell you how much I'm looking forward to finally achieving that coveted status - Member at Large.

To my committee members if you're reading this - thanks again for everything. You made us all look so good today. And to Camilla who sees me and reads this everyday, thanks for coming along to support me. Looking forward our lunch at Swiss Chalet tomorrow.

Yeah, that's right. We've now got a Dirty Bird in our building. Jealous? Hell yeah. You should be. :)

And that's your daily dash. How's your diva doin'?

4 comments on "One less stress..."

Anonymous said...

it really was a great event! and the centre pieces were amazing - but not quite as amazing as the award recipients. the whole event was seamless. i am so thrilled that you are enjoying the success of the event! congratulations over and over again!

now for today's BIG event - the inaugral trip to the newly opened Swiss Chalet! thank you for sharing this moment with me!

Camilla - forever!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Sounds like you had a great time AND got some credit for it! :)

I thought Dirty Bird was KFC? at least that's what DH calls it.. SC is a step up (from KFC anyways!). :P Is this at PMH, because if it is, I will have to add that on my list of 'places to eat' when my lab goes out for lunches! heh heh!

divajen on 16 November 2007 at 10:36 said...

Hehe - we call the Swisser Dirty Bird. We call KFC Unlucky Fried Kitten...gross, but somewhat comical.

And it's not at PMH proper but next door, one building north. You should be able to see it from the street. :)

Anonymous said...

Why wasn't I invited to the dirty bird? Sheesh, Camilla is going into my bad books...

MMK

Followers

 

Welcome

This many divas have come to read my rants since January 30, 2007:


'Cause everyone has a dash of diva in them Copyright 2008 Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez