Wednesday, 16 January 2008

Yes, I'm alive

Just a quickie this morning, but I did want you to rest assured that I have not dropped off the face of the earth.

We had a good but busy weekend. Friday night we went to our first Toronto Rock lacrosse game and had a great time (thanks again for the tickets, V), Saturday we babysat our nephew then hit the racetrack for a social event hosted by one of Hubs' professional organizations (and won $50 on the slots), and Sunday we had our fitness assessment at the gym and both ended up taking on personal trainers to aid us in our efforts.

Not too shabby, all things considered.

Then Monday came.

It was day three, so back to the clinic. Finally. I haven't managed to get into a new one yet, so I was stuck with the existing assholes. Lucky me. But I needed an ultrasound to see if the cyst, yes, the cyst that I've had since October and they've done nothing about, was still there.

You've already guessed the outcome of this one, haven't you?

Yep, cyst still there and firing on all estrogen cylinders. They gave me the option of going forward - to which I told them to shove it - and a maddening conversation ensued.

Turns out when they checked it in November, the last time we actually did an IUI cycle (total cost - $1,400) the cyst was 'functional' as well. But they never really told me that.

Instead, they said my estrogen was high but the doctors recommended moving forward. So we did. Had they said to me, hey diva, your cyst is functioning so we think it's okay to move forward but there is a risk the cyst will take up most of the meds so it's your decision I would have said hell no.

When I go forward with these cycles it's a huge financial and emotional investment. If I'm not in optimal shape ovary-wise before we begin, I don't want to begin. It's as simple as that.

The way I see it, they owe me $1,400. They didn't get my informed consent, and I am pissed off as all hell. Once I claw my way out of my current depressive cave I will take action with the hospital's ombudsperson. 'Cause this just plain sucks.

To make matters worse, they won't do anything about my cyst. Nothing. I'm just supposed to wait until my next appointment with my doctor to figure out what we should do.

That's in mid-February. Thanks for nothing. So I sit here in true limbo, stuck, with no options but waiting. And that sucks ass.

So it's been a really rough few days.

Despite all of the crap we've been through, this is hitting me harder than even I thought it might. I'm dragging my butt to work, still able to function 'cause a little distraction is always good, but I just want to sleep. I haven't felt this down since the first cyst came along last May. And what pulled me out of that was a complete escape from our lives via a week in Cuba.

So guess who's been researching tropical destinations....

Even there I'm torn, because we're trying so hard to reduce our considerable debtload. We could pull off this trip without adding to the debt, but at the same time THAT cash could be used for debt reduction. Torn. So torn.

I desperately need something to look forward to, something positive on the horizon to take my mind off my current lack of reproductive options. But will I just be adding to my stress in other ways (by heaping more onto our financial burden)? The last thing I want is buyer's remorse over something so huge - and expensive.

So we've decided to wait a bit and see what the universe says we should do. When in doubt, let the universe make your important decisions for you.

We'll put money aside into our savings account and wait a few weeks to see what happens. We wouldn't go until the fourth week of February anyway, so we have some time to save, see how I feel, and see what other financial hurdles (including my cat Maxx developing feline diabetes - sigh) jump into our path over the next few weeks.

Not at all what I want, but it's the only way I can stay sane and feel like we're attempting to be rational grown ups and not impulsive children who must indulge their every whim.

Sucks. Insert foot stomping noise here.

And that's your daily dash. How's your diva doin'?

10 comments on "Yes, I'm alive"

celtic_kitten on 16 January 2008 at 09:58 said...

what about a compromise escape? Say, somewhere closer to home. Ok, you don't get the sun, surf & sand... but you still get an escape and might save a few bucks?

Sorry... having had the same debate with myself several times over the past few weeks, I've tried to come up with ways to run away on no money... there's definite merit in a change of scenery and an escape from reality at times like this. *hug*

Anonymous said...

hey DivaJen - a vacation is always a good investment - especially if gets you and hubby back on track and refreshed a bit - and even more important - brings you together.

(Have you thought about a city vacation - like to London - free accomodations - lots of half price theatre tickets and a tour of some local pubs? Just wondering.) Camilla

divajen on 16 January 2008 at 11:14 said...

CK - we've looked at stuff closer to home but in the end I'd almost rather spend a bit more and get a full week away in sand and sun than half the amount to go to Niagara Falls or something for a few days. Weird, but true. Blech.

Camilla - I looked into it, seriously! Right now for the time frame we're looking at it would cost over $1,600 for the two of us to fly to London. We can get an all inclusive week south for $1,900 for both of us. And London, despite fabulous accommodations, is not yet known for it's February sun and sandy beaches. :)

Anonymous said...

Diva, what a suckie few days! You could try a last minute trip ie book time off work but don't book the trip until a few days before. Not as much choice in resorts though..

Anonymous said...

You could try Vegas, I searched on itravel 2000 and can go to a few good hotels-Imperial Palace, Flamingo for $375-$450, flight and hotel on Feb 26 for 3 nights..Vegas is ALWAYS something to look forward to..hey, maybe I will go!

Anonymous said...

I've been reading your blog for a few months now and every cycle I am blind sided by your constant bright outlook. There are days here and there but overall you have the best outlook on life I have seen (read about) in a long time. Take some time to heal and before long you will be back in true Diva style.
Best of luck in your fight with the clinic, I would definitely take it to the ombudsman too! $1400 is very significant.

Anonymous said...

So, did you book your trip?

Anonymous said...

Starting to wonder if you're still alive again!

grimeysgal on 22 January 2008 at 16:58 said...

Diva - I'm sorry to hear your bad news. I haven't been able to check in here for awhile but I do hope you're taking care of yourself. If I was in your position and had that extra cash - I'd definitely take a much needed vacation in the sun!

grimeysgal on 22 January 2008 at 17:00 said...

Oh - I just saw someone's suggestion for Vegas... DH and I went there last May and had a blast - although I wouldn't really say it's "relaxing"




This many divas have come to read my rants since January 30, 2007:

'Cause everyone has a dash of diva in them Copyright 2008 Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez