Monday 12 May 2008

The day after


Well, I survived.

Barely.

I got through Mother's Day, somewhat unscathed.

But for once in my life, I was pretty happy to see Monday roll around. Wacked, I know, but there it is.

Had a pretty good weekend though. Went down to Waterloo to see my sister and CJ, and it was great to get caught up with everyone. We went to some garage sales, the farmer's market, the Jones New York outlet (where I procured a lovely new pair of pink linen pants - an early birthday present from my sister), and the local Sobey's. Then we hooked up with CJ and her bf to see their pad and do a drive by of their new home. Very exciting!!

We then all congregated back at my sister's home for a superbly yummy bbq - great way to top off a fantastic day. Beautiful weather, great food, awesome friends and family, and a Bacardi Breezer or two. We even brought out a cake for Hubs' birthday (coming up this Friday). All was right with the world.

Sunday morning we got up relatively early so we could hit the road and make it to our local Mandarin in time for our 11:30 am reservation.

Mother's Day had officially arrived.

I steeled myself for the onslaught to come. I called my own mom who wasn't there at the time so I left her a message. I'd sent flowers and a card earlier.

I finished writing the message in my mother in law's card, so as to be ready for presentation during our buffet feasting.

I put my game face on as we walked through the hordes of smiling families, kids in their Mandarin Sunday best, moms everywhere with flowers and cards and gift bags. I even managed to hold it together despite the fact that directly in my line of sight was a family of six...mom, dad, and four daughters, one still in her car seat. She was adorable. She was facing me. She was heartbreaking.

The straw before the straw that broke the camel's back came with the bill. The waiter arrived with said bill and a handful of flowers, which he started dishing out to the mothers.

Ugh.

He thrusts one at me and instantly, everyone at the table goes into semi-shocked mode. I keep saying no, but they encourage me to take one. Hubs tells me later he was paralyzed and had no idea what to do. I took the flower, and gave it to DeeDee later on.

And off we went.

We dropped DeeDee off (Sludge was working until 2 and though it was our weekend we all agreed that she should be with her mom as much as she could be on Mother's Day) and headed home...frenetic weekend over, the relief of retreating to my cave and feeling sorry for myself in private almost palpable in our wee Kia.

I was happy to be home.

And I'm extra happy to the thought of wearing my pink linen pants to work later this week. Whatever shall I pair them with?

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

And that's your daily dash. How's your diva doin'?

3 comments on "The day after"

celtic_kitten on 13 May 2008 at 07:46 said...

Disclaimer: I'm probably going to phrase this badly, but I'm hoping you can see through that to the intent.

*hugs* I know it can't have been a particularly nice day for you, Diva dear, and for that I'm sorry :( But... try to think of it this way (which is likely to be somewhat easier in, say, October when Mother's Day is far away in either direction ;) )... as a step-mom to DeeDee, you do have at least a small claim on the day. As you said a few posts ago... there's always someone who's got it worse, right? I know full well that it's not the same... that she's not your child... but she is a child in your life and you are entitled to an honorific that includes the word "mother".

*hugs*

Stay strong, lady... there are better days ahead.

divajen on 13 May 2008 at 08:46 said...

I knew there was something I forgot in my post! :)

Yeah, the whole step mother thing. Weird. As much as it is officially my 'title', it's not a term I use often to describe my relationship with DeeDee. Maybe it's because she has a mother of her own and I have no drive to overtake her, to step into that role...I dunno. This is one I can't even make sense of in my own brain.

And I'm obviously not alone here, 'cause there was no recognition of my step-mother status on Mother's Day. No card from DeeDee, no metion of it at all - it never even crossed Hubs' mind. We talked about it afterwards and he felt terrible but I told him not to...it's such a double edged sword.

Even if he had done something or asked DeeDee to, I'm not sure how I would have felt. Appreciative, sure. But I just think it would have felt...off. Welcome to my own personal catch 22!

Poor guy can't win for trying. There are so many casualties in this battle...no one knows how to react anymore.

celtic_kitten on 14 May 2008 at 05:41 said...

Yeah... I certainly don't envy steps... the relationships always seem far more complicated than they should be *hug*

Followers

 

Welcome

This many divas have come to read my rants since January 30, 2007:


'Cause everyone has a dash of diva in them Copyright 2008 Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez