Wednesday 25 July 2007

Finally - a successful craft project!


So if you've been reading for a while, you've heard (and not yet seen - I can't quite bring myself to photograph it) about my attempts at craftiness. Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose. Last time I think it was a tie - not sure if the universe or I came up on top with my bedroom canvas project.

It still hangs there, oh yes it does, but only because we've still yet to find the 'perfect' piece of art to go above our bed. So each time I enter the bedroom I revel in the mediocrity of mine own hands, a superbly average painting that could, without a doubt, be replicated by any simian (aka monkey) on earth. My talent knows no bounds.

But today, my friends, today the tides have turned. The shoe is indeed on the other foot. I have created something worthy of public display. Nay, SOLELY for public display. How's that for artisan's pride?

The backstory - I don't really care for the outside appearance of our home. I don't hate it, not really, but there are soooo many other houses, on our street even, that I like the look of much better. Ours is browns and beiges. If you know anything about me, if you've gleaned one kernel of insight into my twisted psyche, you KNOW that nothing in my world is browns and beiges. Yet here I am, living smack dab inside a beautiful home - that's all wrapped up in browns and beiges.

Fortunately I don't spend a lot of time gazing at the outside of my house, so I don't dwell on this too much. Yes - in time we may paint the garage door and the front door, the pillars on the sides, but for now, I make due with what we've got and attempt to punch the place up with some bright pink hanging baskets and a planter box here and there. So far, so good.

Back to the task at hand. For months, I've wanted to put something nice on the front door. Eons ago we'd found a cutesy little Welcome sign at Homesense. Very spring looking (which I was craving in March/April) and inviting - all good things for one's front door.

It's been there since we got it, those many eons ago. It was okay for a while, but now, every time I come home I want to pick all those super cheery flowers off the danged thing. Too sickly sweet at this point, like too many Splenda's in my latte. Not a good thing.

I've seen a lot of those wreaths made of berry looking things (what a cunning linguist I am - berry looking things - sigh), but have never found one that's quite right for our place. So I decided to throw caution to the wind and make my own, dammit. I bought the wreath frame and the berry looking things in yellow, dark pink and green, some yellow ribbon, and off we went.

Of course the stuff all sat in a bag for a few days, but I did finally get around to it tonight.

And I did a fan-freakin-tastic good job, if I can be so bold as to say that. Allow me to show you of what I speak. Here's the door with the Splenda overload piece that's now gone:


And now here's the door, replete with wreathy goodness!!

Uh yeah, you can't really even see it all that well here, but you get the general gist, yes? Goes quite nicely with the general beige and brownness of the place, but gives it a splash of colour. I'm damned proud of myself, I tell you whut. Well done, me!

And here's one more photo just 'cause I like the look of it soooooo much: :)


Ah. So pretty. So proud. It's about time a project actually turned out the way I had envisioned in my crazy brain. About time.

So this is what I've been up to over the past few hours. Nothing much else to report, really. I'm trying to do whatever I can to keep my mind off more of this baby making bidness - I have a follow up appointment with my fertility doc tomorrow - and so far it's worked pretty darned well.

And now look at the time. Bed calls (it's almost 11, despite what the time stamp on the post says) and I am right there, ready to answer.

Hope you all have a lovely night, and I thank you for allowing me my boastful moment of self indulgence - complete with photos!! Hehe.

And that's your daily dash. How's your diva doin'?

2 comments on "Finally - a successful craft project!"

Anonymous said...

The wreath is indeed beautiful. You did a great job!

Anonymous said...

Um, yeah, Splenda overload is right! Glad you found the Martha in you! The wreath looks great.

~Leanne

Followers

 

Welcome

This many divas have come to read my rants since January 30, 2007:


'Cause everyone has a dash of diva in them Copyright 2008 Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez