Sunday 22 July 2007

What a wonderful weekend it was...


...if only it was a week longer!

But alas, here we are at Sunday night all over again. I've watched Big Brother, had some hot dogs on the bbq, and checked my BlackBerry to see what's on the agenda for my splendiferous Monday.

I have an 8:30 am meeting.

Blech. Could always be worse, I suppose - it could be an 8 am meeting which is a super pain in the ass to get to (as in, I have to take the 6:58 am train...I'm sure you'll agree that just ain't right). So I guess I'll choose to glass-half-full tomorrow's meeting and proceed accordingly. At least it's with someone I like and respect, and I don't have to do much in the way of prep work, so that helps. Small mercies, I suppose.

So, back to my weekend. Guess we should start with Friday afternoon since I bolted like a non-committal junkie from his first Narcotics Anonymous meeting as soon as my computer clock flipped to noon. Yep, I took me a half day off on Friday and was super happy to do so.

I was a woman with a plan, I tell ya. I bolted from work, hopped on the subway and hooked up with Hubs' mom and sister for some bling shopping. Yes, you read that right - we went to my sister in law's jeweler in search of some fabulous bobbles and we were most certainly not disappointed.

I procured a beautiful new silver ring with a gorgeous emerald cut pink stone, surrounded by pave diamonds. All very man made, I assure you - but the silver is real! And the overall look is divine. A lovely find for this diva. I'll have to see if I can snap a pic later so I can display it here for your viewing pleasure. I know you're simply dying to see it...I'll do my best to fit it in.

After our successful shopping expedition we hooked up with Hubs and had a great lunch. The best part? Not having to go back to work after it! Hehe.

From there, Hubs and I had nothing but time to kill as we were headed to the Chris Cornell concert that evening at 8. In a stroke of brilliance and pure good luck I happened to look up at the television as the concert listings were scrolling by and noticed that he was coming to Massey Hall on Friday night. The non-brilliant aspect? Seeing this for the first time on Thursday morning.

That's right - I decided on Thursday that I wanted to get us tickets for a show the next night. I perused Ticketmaster, and all they had was second balcony, obstructed view. Yuck. So I took a chance and wandered over to the Massey Hall site and lo and behold I was able to secure to 7th row floor seats, just left of centre. Absolutely awesome. Yippee!

So to kill time we wandered all through downtown, had a latte at Starbucks and read our respective books, and had a long, leisurely dinner at Baton Rouge (I ate a potato - I was still full from lunch!). Then it was off to Massey Hall and our fab seats.

Chris (former lead singer of Soundgarden and Audioslave for the unfamiliar) was to come on at 9 and while we had never heard of the opening act - Juliette and the Licks - we decided we'd meandered around long enough so we'd check them out. Okay. So we sit down, the lights dim, the place is max 30% full, and out walks the band. Juliette and her Licks. Crazy long haired chick in painted on leather pants and feathers on her head. Giv'er, crazy chick. She flails about, starts singing and the music is pretty good. A little harder than what I usually listen to, but I was diggin it.

The more I look at her the more I think, man - she looks like Juliette Lewis. I guess that's where she got her name from. And then I realize it IS her! Who knew crazy Juliette Lewis of Natural Born Killers fame was a hard core rock star wannabe? Certainly not me! She's just as crazy on stage as you'd expect her to be. Her chiropractor must be a millionaire for all that head banging.

Anyway, the rest of the concert was amazing, Hubs really enjoyed it (he's the big fan, after all), and all in all it was a great day.

Exhausted (and deaf - well, me anyway) we threw ourselves into bed in preparation for the rest of the weekend to come.

Saturday morning arrived way too early, but we hopped out of bed, packed a bag, and hit the highway for my cousin's place. Two hours later after sitting in some stopped traffic (ugh) we arrived at her house and proceeded to spend the remainder of the day lounging by the pool with my cousin, my sister/brother in law/nephew, and two other cousins and their families. Good times were had by all.

Especially once we discovered their zero gravity chairs. Have you seen these things? Man, Hubs and I just totally fell in love with them, so much so that we went on a (so far unsuccessful) hunt to get two for our very own backyard. Seen them anywhere? Lemme know, will ya? We MUST have them...must. We went to Home Depot where my uncle got his, but nothing. We searched WalMart, but the one they had was absolute crap with a wimpy frame, and since we ain't small people, we weren't taking any chances.

I will find them. We will have them. They will be mine. Oh yes, they will be mine.

But I digress.

After a lovely day by the pool we migrated a few blocks over to my other sister's place and hung out with them for the evening. They've got a new puppy, so visiting with Spike was the name of the game.

We had a great chat, got caught up, then it was bedtime for this kid 'cause I was way beyond sleepy. So we shuffled off to our fouton in the basement (ah, the joys of trying to put up four extra people in a house) and eight back breaking hours later, Sunday morning had arrived.

I spent a lot of time day dreaming about our pillow top mattress today...

We gathered the clan and headed off for a scrumptous Sunday brunch. I had eggs, bacon, pancakes, salads, pasta...you name it, it was, in one way, shape or form, shoved down my gullet. I had my brunch face on, and no one was getting in my way!

We gorged like champs and eventually rolled ourselves out the front door when it was agreed that there was simply no more room for anything else in anyone's belly. We were well fueled for the drive home that awaited us.

We said our goodbyes then hit the road. Fortunately there was much less in the way of traffic, and we actually made it home in decent time.

Where I promptly proceeded to fall asleep on the couch, seconds after we walked in the door. I guess all the excitement of the weekend and the fabulous fouton finally caught up to me.

And so we're back to where we started from. I've had my dinner, watched Big Brother, and now I've blogged so I guess all that remains is to proof this post, shut the laptop, and attempt to drift off to sleep beside Hubs, the human chainsaw. Wish me luck!

And that's your daily dash. How's your diva doin'?

4 comments on "What a wonderful weekend it was..."

Anonymous said...

Hey Diva- funny you should mention the zero-gravity loungers. On Friday, DH went to pick up chairs for our patio set at the Canadian Tire in Oshawa and he came home with the patio chairs as well as a zero-gravity chair. He said they're great and they matched our patio set so he brought one home. So, try the CT in North Oshawa! I've also seen them at the Bay downtown. Good luck!

~a fellow WB'er :)

celtic_kitten on 23 July 2007 at 08:55 said...

You think the 6:58 train is just plain wrong? Oh dear... I get one at 6:39 ;)

But yes... there are worse things than an 8:30 a.m. meeting... try a 4:00 one on a Friday *grumble*

can't wait to see the ring... it sounds absolutely beeeeoooootiful! ;)

Anonymous said...

We got our zero-gravity chairs at Home Outfitters but they're also sold at Zellers and the Bay - Zellers was the cheapest I saw but I got Home Outfitters to price-match. They are AMAZING! I love to stretch out on them in the backyard with a cocktail with a friend and just chatch the evening away...
Lyne
P.S. I'm soooo happy with EVIL's nominations! Smart guy!

Anonymous said...

You can get those great chairs at Sam's Club too....I love em!

Followers

 

Welcome

This many divas have come to read my rants since January 30, 2007:


'Cause everyone has a dash of diva in them Copyright 2008 Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez