Tuesday 18 March 2008

Daym, chicks are smart


This is a follow up post, of sorts. Follow up to yesterday's diva on a mission, my quest for a chandelier for my ensuite.

First, thanks to everyone who posted links, etc. to some really great options. There are lots of great suggestions there from places that hadn't even crossed my mind, so woot (and thanks!) to you all!

For the record, here are two of my faves thus far:





This beauty as recommended by Gina, on sale for $90 at Canadian Tire. Hmmm...I have some good Canadian Tire money sitting around....
















And this gorgeous thing is a rec from Jenn, available for $120 at Pottery Barn Kids. Yes, kids! But I love it just the same! I think it would be stunning against the coloured walls.







Whuddya think??? Awesome suggestions!

Second, you gals are super smart. And you sure do care about me - not wanting me to get electrocuted and stuff! Yikes!

Hadn't really crossed my mind as something to be afraid of, but it sure should have! That's the last thing I need - to be sitting in my tub, relaxing with a cup of coffee or glass of wine (who's kidding who, it would totally be wine), yummy LUSH bath bombs smelling up the room, reading a trashy novel, and kablamo! My beautiful chandelier, the one I worked so hard to find, comes crashing down and fries my stupid carcass in the tub.

Not a good mental image, no.

It's always been a deep dark fear of mine to have something terrible happen to me and have rescue squads happen upon me naked. Seriously. I think I would drag myself to a robe by my teeth were that ever to happen. Providing I was somewhat conscious, of course. Methinks that might not be an option with tub electrocution, however. Fatal Attraction has taught me many lessons, including this one.

But I digress.

I will therefore reassure those of you who were concerned that my home isn't up to code that all is well - the stupid thing isn't actually directly above my tub!

I realized this key element this morning getting out of the shower. I looked up at the ugly globe and swore. I was super pissed that the damned thing wasn't even centered over the freaking tub! Argh! I started cursing new builds and the companies that throw homes up in the blink of a cheap developer's eye.

Annnnnnnnd now I feel stupid.

Sigh. Of course it makes sense to not put the damned light above the tub. Argh. Duh.

You girls are so smart. What would I do without you? This is awesome. I love how I can ask for info/suggestions/comments and not only do I get them in spades but I also get timely and relevant safety recommendations. Love love love it!

So that's about all I have to talk about today. It's been a rough few days - three friends told me they were pregnant within a three hour time frame yesterday, and it sucked. Then another one told me she was too this morning.

Ugh.

And perhaps the saddest of all, my mom's best friend was diagnosed with breast cancer yesterday. She's been like a second mom to me since I was 8 years old. She's been at every graduation I've ever had, every big family event. She and her husband are my second parents and my sister and I are practically their children since they were never able to have kids of their own.

She's 60 years old. And it's aggressive.

Since you guys were kind enough to keep my safety in mind, today I'll simply ask you to keep Sharon in your thoughts and, if appropriate, prayers. I think she's going to need all the help she can get, and you gals sure do know how to come through in a pinch.

With gratitude.

And that's your daily dash. How's your diva doin'?

8 comments on "Daym, chicks are smart"

Unknown on 19 March 2008 at 06:39 said...

I love the PB chandelier, personally.

So sorry to hear about your 'second mom'. Cancer's a bitch. You'll all be in my thoughts..

celtic_kitten on 19 March 2008 at 06:57 said...

Your "second mom" is getting as many positive vibes as I can send her way. BC (and I don't mean British Columbia) sucks :(

On the chandalier note... you know, you might still be able to safely centre the fixture over your tub. Depending on the length of the chain and how far off 'centre' the fixture is, you may be able to add a hook directly over the tub... the fixture would still be wired where the globe is, but the chain could then be hooked so the light hangs centred. If the hook failed, the light would swing under the fixture itself, and not fall in the tub... and if the fixture failed, the hook would hold the light up. Best of both worlds ;) but again, it'd depend on what sort of distance you're working with and how long the chain (and wire) is on the chandalier.

Jenn M on 19 March 2008 at 11:17 said...

:D you picked one of my suggestions!! I'm so happy I could help.

I'm sending positive, healthy vibes from SC for your second mom.

Mrs. Spaghetti Bender on 19 March 2008 at 14:00 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs. Spaghetti Bender on 19 March 2008 at 14:05 said...

So sorry to hear about your 2nd mom. Damn breast cancer runs rampant in my family and I have watched many people fight the battle. I'll be sending out well wishes to your family.

I love the chandelier from Canadian tire - it is so sparkly ... so Diva like = )

As Celtic_kitten said you could just wire it to the box and place a hook over the tub to hold the chain. I have seen lights over tubs and in showers in newer homes so I'm sure there is a way around this.

Anonymous said...

Shannon, I will definitely sending many good vibes to your 2nd mom. I greatly hope she gets better soon.

As for chandeliers, they are both really neat, but I must say, the Can. Tire one is more 'diva-esque', as Mrs Spaghetti Bender mentioned. But both would look lovely in your bathroom. Maybe put the one you don't use there in the Pursery?? hi hi

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear your sad news. Sharon is in my thoughts.

As for the chandelier...personally I like the Canadian Tire one. I think its more elegant.

Anonymous said...

Love your humour about the light fixture!! LOL.

Damn you cancer. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

-Jill

Followers

 

Welcome

This many divas have come to read my rants since January 30, 2007:


'Cause everyone has a dash of diva in them Copyright 2008 Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez