Monday 31 March 2008

So much for the lamb theory


You often hear it said that March comes in like a lion and out like a lamb. Well, if memory serves they got the lion thing right, but the end of March hasn't displayed a single shred of lamb-iness in my little corner of the world.

I will say that this last weekend of March did start off great.


Friday night we went out to dinner with
Hubs' colleagues (who picked up the tab, which was very nice). We went to Brant House and I felt like I was living the downtown diva super swank lifestyle all over again! It was nice to be out, but man, later that night was I ever glad to get home! It had already been a long week and going out on Fridays kills me now!

Saturday we got up early so I could drop Hubs off at the GO station. He had a big trade show he was working at the convention centre so it made more sense to take the train than drive. I dropped off library books on the way home, went to the grocery store, cleaned the house a bit, hopped into the shower, then my mom and sister picked me up for a girlie day out.

We went to a little store here in town that I like, then to Red Lobster for lunch which I'll never say no to. We then headed up to the Jeanne Lottie warehouse sale and my mom bought me a bag I have been coveting for a while. So I didn't spend any money! Good diva, very good diva.

Then I got home, cleaned a bit more, and a good friend came over for dinner. We then met up with a bunch of other wb gals, ate bad food, almost burned her condo down during Earth Hour, and watched Ghost. I got home at 1am and passed out.

Sunday it was nice to sleep in a bit. As I came downstairs, I noticed that Pekoe, the youngest of my three cats, was lying on the carpet by the window. He's usually a very skittish guy, so you walk near him and he bolts. So I walked gingerly past him so I could open the blinds, and he didn't run away. I bent down to pet him and again, he didn't run away. Instead he cried out in pain and I knew something was wrong.

Long story short, hours later we took him to the emergency vet and his entire urinary tract was blocked. They drained his bladder, but it was full of blood and crystals, so he was really sick. They could treat it, but there was a good chance it would happen again, and he'd need to be in the vet hospital for at least 48 hours with IV etc etc, and it would cost over $3,000.

Yeah.

So we spoke to the vet more and I asked realistically what his chances were of getting better and she said they were 50/50. I asked what would happen if we just tried antibiotics etc and went from there, and she didn't think he would live for another 24 hours but would die a painful death. God. So I had to make a terrible decision and ultimately we had to put him down.

The vet was awesome, she made me feel okay about the decision and told me I wasn't a terrible human being (that's all I could say over and over and over again) but it still sucked. Thank god she was nice though, 'cause had it been anyone else it would have been even harder if that's possible. In the end, I left the office with an empty cat carrier and $600 less in my meager savings account.

Sigh.

So today I'm all puffy from crying all night and I didn't get any sleep so I'm exhausted too. Of course it's grey and drizzling and just plain nasty, which doesn't help but sure does fit the mood.

I'm going to watch the Bachelor and head to bed. Here's hoping tonight I finally get some sleep.

Is March over yet? 'Cause it sure seems like the lambs are still screaming.

And that's your daily dash. How's your diva doin'?

2 comments on "So much for the lamb theory"

celtic_kitten on 1 April 2008 at 08:02 said...

It was lamblike... just a very soggy lamb ;)

Again, Diva, I'm so sorry about Pekoe :( I liked the little guy (he even checked in last time I was there, which I took as high praise)... I can only imagine how much you must miss him *hugs*

April will be better... it has to be.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I've been lurking on your blog for a while (as a fellow GO train commuter and diva-in-training, your stories stand out to me) but never posted a comment. I just wanted to say that I'm sorry to hear about Pekoe. It's tough to go through something like that. I hope that your April is much better.

Followers

 

Welcome

This many divas have come to read my rants since January 30, 2007:


'Cause everyone has a dash of diva in them Copyright 2008 Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez