Monday 17 March 2008

Diva on a mission...


So my friends, I am in need of your help.

Let me give you some back story...

First, you know I've been sick. I stayed home again on Friday to try to rest and just get better. By Saturday, I was ready to pull my hair out. I'd been home every night and two days that week, so when the sun came out, it was time to just get outside and start moving again.

Hubs and I decided to go to a cute little town not that far away from our place. We hopped in the car, hit Timmy's for a hot beverage, and off we went.

We walked up and down main street, did some shopping, took our time and just enjoyed the (very) fresh air. But after a week of house arrest, it didn't take me long to get tired.

So back home we came.

As we were coming down the road I mentioned to Hubs that one day I wanted to go and visit the model homes of the builder just north of us. It's a nice subdivision and I've always wondered what the interiors look like. Not that we have any desire to buy something else and move, but looking sure can be fun!

Since it was close and it was still relatively nice out, we decided to walk. Exercise is good.

Yes, that's right. I said exercise is good.

We head into the homes and start poking about. Nicely done but strangely laid out - phew! I said a silent word of thanks, 'cause the last thing I need is to get 'I want a new house' vibe into my brain. Sheesh!

There were three homes to check out, two empty and one all decked out with furnishings. The furnished one was the smallest of all three, but had a better layout. Nice long master bedroom, and a great ensuite, similar to our existing one, but with the drool-worthy double sinks.

Sigh....

But more than the double sinks, the bathroom had an extra touch that I totally fell in love with and is therefore now the subject of my quest:

An absolutely gorgeous chandelier over the corner soaker tub.

We have a corner soaker tub. But ours has a really plain, boring, stupid globe light over it.

And now that I have seen the light (hehehe - soooo funny, I am) I must find a new bathroom chandelier for our house.

So here's where you come in! See if you can find me some pics of a chandelier that would work in a bathroom. Can't be too big or ornate, 'cause that just won't work. And no gold or brass - diva don't do gold or brass. Silver or crystal or that kinda stuff.

The wall colour is a cafe au lait colour, as are the tiles on the floor and in the surround. Very neutral. Towels are white, turquoise and chocolate brown. Chocolate brown accents are in the artwork. Vanity cupboards are medium wood, and the countertop is also taupe.

Hell, why don't I just show you a picture!


Witness the hidiosity that is the current light fixture. Now you understand my quest.

So....the parameters. I don't wanna spend a fortune - we have a gazillion other things our cash could be going towards, ya know? It can't be too big 'cause, well, there just isn't room for a huge fixture. It won't work in the space.

But that's about it.

So help me out, will ya? Show me what you can find - I'll take all the help I can get!

I love a good shopping mission. Hope you do too!

And that's your daily dash. How's your diva doin'?

11 comments on "Diva on a mission..."

Anonymous said...

I was watching Oprah on Thursday and they had Nate on. He was redoing some rooms and had a nice chandelier and said it was from Loew's. That is the new competition for home depot. There isn't one in Durham, but one in Newmarket, Toronto and Maple..

celtic_kitten on 18 March 2008 at 09:33 said...

I'm currently contemplating this one (don't tell DH... he doesn't know ;) ) for a different space, but it might work in your bathroom...

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=941596&Ntt=941596&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&recN=112572&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber

brushed nickle finish... fancy without being too over the top... 5 lamps... 23.75" diameter, 16.75" hang length... just under $75 at Home Depot...

Jenn M on 18 March 2008 at 11:07 said...

Hi Diva
Your bathroom is beautiful and a chandelier will be perfect in there :)

Here are a couple I thought of for your room that I'd seen online at Pottery Barn and Pottery Barn Kids (I know - pottery barn kids - but I still think they would work)

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/p10286/index.cfm?pkey=clgthngchd

http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/ml200/index.cfm?pkey=clig%7Cb

http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/sm465/index.cfm?pkey=clig%7Cb

They have a phone number to call if you want to ship outside the US - so hopefully they can ship to Canada.

I can't wait to see what you decide to go with :)

XO
Jenn (brighteyes)

Anonymous said...

I don't want to be a party pooper, but I thought you should know...just so you are aware, that a light fixture above a tub is against code. You may be fine with that, but when you do sell, it will likely have to be changed.

I am not a builder or inspector, but I remember seeing it on an episode of Design Inc, and Sarah was crushed when they couldnt do it.

I think it looks very pretty and Divaesque though!

Kat on 18 March 2008 at 15:53 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Too shiny?
http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443294806&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396672795&bmUID=1205888108250&deptid=null&ctgrid=null&subctgrid=null

Probably too brassy for you:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443294811&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396672795&bmUID=1205888188866&deptid=null&ctgrid=null&subctgrid=null

this one?
http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=937891&Ntt=937891&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&recN=112572%2021&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber

Bronze:
http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=933021&Ntt=933021&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&recN=112572%2021&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber


Gina

Anonymous said...

Ikea idea....

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/30092475

Anonymous said...

Seeing as you mentioned the steamy novels.... maybe you'd like something like this?

http://www.break.com/pictures/xmar29gal8.html

Anonymous said...

Diva,
Just to let you know, one of my client's house burned down to the ground - horrible travesty. Everyone at the office was talking, and if there is a light that could potentially fall into the tub and burn down the house because of that, you would get ZERO insurance money. Just to let you know...

Anonymous said...

" Anonymous said...
Seeing as you mentioned the steamy novels.... maybe you'd like something like this?

http://www.break.com/pictures/xmar29gal8.html

March 19, 2008 9:58 AM"

OMG......ROFLMAO

divajen on 19 March 2008 at 20:06 said...

Bah - that link is hilarious! I had no idea what to expect but I'm delighted by the visual!

Followers

 

Welcome

This many divas have come to read my rants since January 30, 2007:


'Cause everyone has a dash of diva in them Copyright 2008 Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez