Tuesday 29 April 2008

Back to 'normal' - whatever that is


So I'm home! Yep, back in Ontario, happy to be sleeping back in my same bed with my happy hubby.

Had a fantastic trip. It was very busy, very rushed, and somewhat frustrating at times, but I got to see/meet so many people and had an amazing time hanging out with some fan-fuckin-tastic women that I've been dying to meet for ages. Allllll good.

My only regret is that I never made it to Abbotsford to see my good pal who was a bridesmaid in our wedding. Sigh. Stupid weekend was so packed it just couldn't work. And that sucked.

Came in late Sunday evening and was met at the airport by a super smiley Hubs. We were both ridiculously mushy while I was away, and decided that five days is just too long for us to be apart. So lemme tell ya, every minute they made me wait for my luggage was one tick up on my Air Canada hate meter. Nobody keeps me away from my man any longer than need be!

The trip home was relatively okay, but a bit painful. I managed to wrench my back as I was checking out of the hotel on Sunday morning and hot daym did/does it hurt! I cried in the cab on the way to the airport....I just couldn't find a reasonably comfortable position. And the cabbie giving me advice on different yoga/stretching positions and their accompanying breathing techniques really didn't help much. I'm just not that kinda gal.

Worked from home yesterday 'cause I was just plum tuckered and my stupid back was still killing me. Thank goodness for remote connections and the ability to dial in to voice mail from afar!

Today I braved my twitchy back and headed back to the office. And I learned that my desk chair simply isn't suitable to strained backs. I found one comfy position and managed to hold it as long as was feasible. Only drawback? I was in super slouch position, facing slightly away from my computer, so it looked like I was slacking, surfing websites all day. But it was the only thing that worked!

Finally around 1 I went to see my boss who had, when I spoke to her yesterday, promised me Aleve upon my return to the office. I'd been taking Advil thus far and it seemed to take the edge off, but she swore up and down that nothing could touch Aleve where back pain was concerned.

Now, you can't buy this stuff in Canada.

That should have been my first clue.

So I hobble down the hall to get my expense report signed and fetch the good drugs. She greets me with a smile as always, and pulls out the container of magic pills. I've never taken them before, and she suggests that I take two to get started.

Happy white and yellow pills in hand, I trudge back to my office and slurp down my bounty with a swig of diet iced tea.

An hour later a colleague comes into my office and finds me almost asleep, sitting up in my chair. I could nap so hard at that moment...my eyelids were like lead weights! Simple words weren't coming to me and I was mixing up my syllables.

Methinks I'll stick to my Advil.

To make matters worse I had a meeting at 4 with two doctors and I had to keep it together. Fortunately (for me) only one could make it, so we chatted briefly and I headed on my merry way to catch the train home.

Where finally, without fear or concern, I could fall blissfully asleep. And did I ever. Slept all the way from downtown to my station. And am still so exhausted that as soon as this is proofed I'm hitting the sheets.

So that's my update. Maybe tomorrow if I have the energy I'll bring you up to speed on Sludge's latest hijinks. 'Cause rest assured, they are many, and they are outrageous.

Good times, good times.

And that's your daily dash. How's your diva doin'?

4 comments on "Back to 'normal' - whatever that is"

Anonymous said...

Saint Diva!

Glad you had a good trip but sorry to hear about your back. I'm with you on the airline thing. Nearly got stranded in Chicago on Monday night. Very stressful. There's got to be a better way to get places.

I can't believe Sludge is already back into hijinks territory. That didn't take long (I don't know why I'm surprised by this, but for some stupid reason I just thought/hoped that the goodwill you extended while she looked for a new trashcan to live in would have bought some decency from her, even for a short while). Silly, silly me.

Take care of that back!

JBJ

Unknown on 30 April 2008 at 12:11 said...

welcome back!!

DH has tendonitis in his shoulder and sometimes is in extreeeemme pain...

You might be surprised at how well bengay (or anything like that) is... especially when you get a great back rub with it.... although the stuff we used smelled like double bubble gum (damn now I want some gum).

What about one of those heating patches?? Or a lot of alcohol?

Jenn on 30 April 2008 at 15:36 said...

i know the feeling about back, when advil stopped working for me i started taking 1 aleve but only before bed, in the morning i would wake up and my back would be better for at least a few days.

Anonymous said...

Glad you are back safe and sound! As for the back, if nothing else works get a prescription for ibuprofen..600mg...i've done the lot of meds for back pain (i've had back surgery etc.) Ibuprofen works wonders for me....

Followers

 

Welcome

This many divas have come to read my rants since January 30, 2007:


'Cause everyone has a dash of diva in them Copyright 2008 Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez