Wednesday 9 April 2008

Willpower, where art thou?


It's no real secret that I've been trying to get healthier, eat better, exercise more, and lose some weight.

Never really understood that term, lose. Generally when I lose something I want to find it afterwards. Weight? Not so much. Well, not that I want to find it, that is. But man oh man, it seems to have no trouble finding me and negating it's lost status.

I've lost and gained and lost and gained and gained and maybe lost a bit more for at least 25 years. Over the past year and a bit, I have managed to lose 27 pounds and keep it off.

Everything after that is a fucking struggle.

And it's not like I have a little bit of weight to lose. Quite the contrary. I won't go into specifics here and now 'cause a diva never actually gets that deep into the numbers, but suffice it to say that in order to get to a more healthy body weight, I need to shed over 100 pounds.

Crikey.

Whenever I think about losing precise amounts I always enjoy comparing them to real life objects. 10 pound bags of potatoes, 1 pound blocks of butter, that kinda stuff. My fave movie comparison can be found in the otherwise craptastic film America's Sweethearts, starring Julia Roberts. She is, of course, the newly pretty sister of Catherine Zeta Jones. When someone comments on her new physique, she says yes, I've lost 60 pounds. The response? Holy cow - that's a Backstreet Boy.

Still makes me snicker to this day.

And while I have more than one 60 pound Backstreet Boy to shed myself, I do what I can to take solace in the fact that I don't need to rid myself of the entire band. Nah, I'm more in the one of the Olsen twins realm.

As skinny as they may be, it still doesn't make me feel that much better.

My biggest challenge through all of this has been simple willpower. I want food, all too often I'll just eat it. My current physique therefore must come as no surprise to many then.

The flip side of this coin is that as long as I don't bring crap into the house, I can't consume it while I'm home. Add to this the fact that I'm just too fucking lazy to go to the store to pick up something, and you'd think all would be right with the world.

Alas...I don't do the grocery shopping.

Hubs is fantastic in so many ways, and is always doing little things for me to make me happy. He brings me flowers, makes dinner, calls just to say hello, and will pick up a treat or two for me while he's out. Thereby negating my game plan.

'Cause now the stuff is in the house. And I will consume it. Oh yes, I will.

Sigh.

We had a talk recently and I explained that I love that he wants to do things for me, but maybe instead of buying chocolate, he can pick up my new snacky faves...Simple Pleasures cookies from Dare.

Yummy.

Those Dare people sure are practicing truth in advertising when they say Simple, 'cause there ain't much too them. Plain and simple, but surprisingly satisfying. My two faves are Chocolate and Lemon Social. La di da. Here are two photos for your shopping reference:


I highly recommend them. I love that you get four cookies in a serving...that seems so decadent to me. And the lemon ones are super good when paired with yogurt.

Yes, this is the new regime, ladies and gentleman. I am now excited about pairing my yogurt with other snack foods. Wow. Mark this day on your calendar.

Bottom line, I'm trying to be better. I'm trying to shore up that willpower. I'm hoping that things will improve simply by virtue of the fact that spring seems to have arrived. That my dinners can be made at home on the bbq. That I can get outside and walk more.

Like tonight! We went for a walk after dinner. Who's proud of me? Hells yeah!

Okay, so we walked to Baskin Robins but come on - we walked!

Now before you go getting all disappointed in me, I'll have you know that instead of my traditional faves - peanut butter and chocolate and Rocky Road - I instead went with one of their low fat frozen yogurts. Not a spectacular choice, but still...I did manage to exert even a modicum of willpower, and these days I'll take my little victories where I find them.

Hmmmm....wonder if my lemon social biscuits go well with frozen yogurt as well....

And that's your daily dash. How's your diva doin'?

9 comments on "Willpower, where art thou?"

Anonymous said...

COngratulations on choosing the frozen yogourt over the ice cream! And walking to the store is a giant step in the right direction.
You're right that spring is helpful in losing weight!
Now keep in mind that I could easily stand to lose 1 1/3 Backstreet Boys to my ideal weight, so maybe my advice isn't the greatest!
Keep searching and your willpower will be found!

Anonymous said...

I've been reading your blog every day lately (about a week) and I gotta say, you have got the most amazing sense of humour.

Did you ever think of stand up?

no, seriously!!!

divajen on 10 April 2008 at 11:21 said...

Thanks, but stand up scares the crap outta me. Now improv is my friend...I love me some improv. Did five levels of training at Second City. Good times. :)

Anonymous said...

Go Diva!!
You know your welcome to come and post in accountability anytime!
Great find with the simple pleasures - can you post or PM me the calories, fat, and fibre per serving??
Cheers,
~420grrl

Anonymous said...

Good work girl!! I, too, should follow in your steps. You make it sound so easy, even though I know it's not. I also love the chocolate snack cookies!!!

Anonymous said...

I love those cookies too! The spice ones are excellent paired with a cup of tea. Also, 2 reduced-fat oreos are only 100 calories if you like them.

I love reading your blog, you're my favorite author! (really!)

Keep going with the walking, it's the best thing you can do for yourself...Spring is here and walks are much more pleasant. :)

Shelley

Marlene on 13 April 2008 at 09:31 said...

Congratulations on making healthier choices...every little bit counts!

I'm the same in that I will eat it if it's there, so I just don't buy it. My skinny husband on the other hand... ugh!

Kris on 14 April 2008 at 15:59 said...

I don't keep the junk in the house, but my biggest indulgence is just a quick phone call away (967-1111 - I'm sure everyone knows it...). After a long and crappy day all I can think of is pizza and creamy garlic dipping sauce - I dip every bite, not just the crust. And recently I've graduated to 2 dipping sauces instead of one...
Even the best of intentions can be overcome by delivery :)

Anonymous said...

mine brings me mars bars!

Followers

 

Welcome

This many divas have come to read my rants since January 30, 2007:


'Cause everyone has a dash of diva in them Copyright 2008 Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez