Monday 21 May 2007

The diva dabbles in domestic


What a weekend it's been. We get back from Cuba and bang - real life begins anew!

Saturday night was Hubs' family birthday party, so that day saw lots of running around procuring cakes and balloons and mint chocolate ice cream and all that fun stuff. Fortunately Hubs himself had done the grocery shopping and thus saved me from that hell which was mucho appreciated, I'll tell you what. I got a good sleep in Saturday and a Tim Horton's brought to my beside as I awoke. And it was his birthday. Hmmm. I really am the luckiest girl alive.

Amidst the running around we also made a trek to Canadian Tire to buy a lawnmower. All the things you must buy when you move into a new house! Sheesh. We ended up with an electric cordless mower...and can I just say how environmentally righteous I feel having made this choice? No bad combustibles for the ozone layer from this kid. Huzzah. I am an environmental warrior, a green machine! Amazing how good something so seemingly small can make you feel. Huh. Who knew.

Anyway, a few hours later Hubs' sisters and parents came over and we had a great time, as always. Lots of laughter and good bbq food - can't go wrong. Once everyone left we were both ready to collapse, and so we did. I love my bed.

Sunday was another day of errands - DOT patio centre to look for a patio set (it's really stupid expensive and not all that nice - who knew?), PetSmart so Hubs could get stuff to put in the snake tank (yippee), Tommy Hilfiger to cash in on Hubs' birthday gift card (he looks so awesome in Tommy stuff, I love shopping with him there) and of course purchase very cute things for my nephew, then it was off to the Bay to look there for patio furniture.

Can I just say, who knew how hard it would be to find a patio set I actually like, one without a glass top table that comes complete for about $500? Yeesh, you'd think I was embarking on my kitchen table hunt all over again!

We'd been all over the place and nothing had struck our fancy. My sister mentioned the Bay as a place to check out, so since we were in that neck of the woods, we popped in.

And stumbled upon this:


Now, I realize the photo doesn't really do it justice, but you get the idea. The cushions are actually an icy mint green colour which is quite lovely, and the table is all steel, kinda slatted along the top which is just what we want.

It was stupid expensive, well out of our price range, but thanks to the fact that we had our wedding registry at the Bay and they have their completion program that allows you to get discounts on their stuff for up to a year after your wedding, we saved 25% off the price. That made it worth consideration, all of the sudden! Yippee - me loves a good bargain. Me especially loves getting expensive stuff for more discount prices. The best natural high going. Cue trippy music. Awesome.

After that successful trip we headed to our local Blockbuster, rented four movies and purchased seven. Previously viewed, of course. Not paying full price for flicks unless I really, really must have it once it first comes out.

We finally got our KFC (as you may have read from yesterday's post), watched a flick and got clocked in the melon by DeeDee's Wii backswing. That put a damper on the evening. Hubs went up to bed while I spent an eternity uploading our vacation pics to Shutterfly. It was two in the flipping morning before I hit the hay. Yes, I'm quite sleepy today, thanks for asking. Hopefully I'll have no trouble making my trip to dreamland tonight.

We did get out of bed in relatively decent time this morning - painful, but true. We headed down to Denny's for breakfast, then to our local AMC so as to take in Shrek the Third. Cute. Had a few good laughs. Fab.

And since nothing but movie theatres and garden centres are open on Victoria Day, and since we'd already hit the movie theatre, we went to the garden centre.

Yes, those of you that know me must be laughing your asses off or reeling in horror. I have two thumbs, neither of them green. But I still bought bags of dirt and flowers and grass seed and hanging baskets and planters and potting soil and all that gardening type stuff, and now, believe it or not, I have two baskets of flowers hanging on the pillars on my front porch, and two baskets of pink and white flowers suspended from my porch railing.

Yes, that streak you see in the sky IS a pig flying. I have gardened. Kinda. I never really touched the dirt though thanks to a lovely pink pair of gardening gloves bought with the best of intentions by my loving sister in law. Bet you never thought they'd get used so quickly, but they're all de-virgined and broken in now!!! So much to go still, but hey, baby steps are still steps, right? Phew!!

The rest of our long weekend was whiled away by watching Dream Girls and catching up on all the pvr'd shows that we missed while away (covering Grey's right now...man, do I love being right).

And now, I have to wrap my head around the fact that I have to go back to work tomorrow. That my life isn't just one big vacation away from work, and that I must, once again, toil for my daily bread. Sigh....

Well, at least the first day back everyone wants to talk about your trip and see the photos (of course they're developed and in the album, ready for viewing) and it takes hours to sift through the hundreds of emails you get. Yeah, that's gonna be my Tuesday. I guess I can find a way to handle that.

And that's your daily dash. How's your diva doin'?

1 comments on "The diva dabbles in domestic"

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... that's the exact patio set at the Bay that I've been eyeing for a month... maybe after we get back from Vegas I can convince Hubby to get with our left over GC's from the wedding... and with the 25% off how could he say no? lol
Glad you had a fabulous vacation!
Grimeysgal

Followers

 

Welcome

This many divas have come to read my rants since January 30, 2007:


'Cause everyone has a dash of diva in them Copyright 2008 Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez