Tuesday 5 June 2007

Last time I had the smite bonus...


I tried so hard, I really did.

We went out, I took the 8:13 pm train, I got home at 9:30, I went upstairs to change...

And they're still here. All of them. Talking about tentacles and crossbows and damage points and, as above, the beloved smite bonus. All of the wonderful work that was done over yummy martinis is slowly fading into a distant memory.

Must cling to thoughts of alcohol.

Yeah, that'll get me through this, sure it will.

And this is going to happen every Tuesday? I'm gonna have to take a later train.

Rest of the day was pretty good, I must say. I got a beautiful bouquet of lilies and lupins from my boss in celebration of me actually staying at my job. I got that five year pin today (plated in 22k gold and made by the manufacturers of the Order of Canada - not too shabby) so she thought it was about time to reverse the trend and not only give presents to people who leave but reward those who stay. Nice! Gotta love feeling appreciated!

Then came the inaugural meeting of the Tuesday Night Distraction Club. A smashing success, if I do say so myself. We were small in numbers (five gals in total) but mighty in our drinking prowess and desire to chat about testicles, not tentacles. Prava was a funky place (snaps to Camille for suggesting the location) and we all had yummy martinis, high fallutin' appies, and to perfectly round out the evening - straight vodka shots. Let the games begin.

Then Ruth and I headed over to the train - how delightful to have company! - and chatted all the way to her stop. An excellent end to an excellent evening.

It's funny - as much as I lament Hubs' participation in this, uh, hobby, I'm actually quite grateful that it's come to pass. It gives him something to do on his own (forever and ever on his own) and gives me the push I need to set aside dedicated time for myself and/or my friends.

I've always known how important it is to have 'me' time, and the planner in me is enjoying the regularity this Tuesday thing brings, while the crazy social chick is totally diggin the spontaneity that doing something new each week affords. A great mix - I can live in the burbs and truly enjoy my existence here, but can hold on to the city gal persona I so lovingly honed during all of my years as a downtown-dwelling single gal. Not too shabby.

Funny how sometimes things just work out for the best. I do subscribe to the 'everything happens for a reason' school of thought, and I guess this is just another example of why the theory works for me.

And hey, if it all goes terribly wrong at some point, I still have that smite bonus to fall back on. I loves me a good smiting.

And that's your daily dash. How's your diva doin'?

2 comments on "Last time I had the smite bonus..."

celtic_kitten on 6 June 2007 at 10:15 said...

Oh no! You're kidding me... I thought for sure with the 8:13 they'd be wrapped up and bundled off home by the time you got home *sigh*

But, on a happier note... I had a blast last night! It was great to finally meet you :)

Looking forward to the next "event" ;) Perhaps somewhere that the hand dryer in the washroom doesn't try to knock you to the ground would be good for next time, though? *laugh*

Thanks for being such an organizer, Diva Darlin'!

-->R

Anonymous said...

thanks for a great night last night. I can't wait to find out where else we will end up on Tuesday nights.

Followers

 

Welcome

This many divas have come to read my rants since January 30, 2007:


'Cause everyone has a dash of diva in them Copyright 2008 Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez