Thursday 1 February 2007

Divas love company...


I had a hard time deciding what to blog about today. A lot happened, but nothing actually called out or screamed 'write about me!' I was just about to dazzle you all with a disjointed post of disjointed ideas, a delightful melange of this and that...and my browser froze. I couldn't type a damned thing into the title window.

After a few deep breaths into my ever present paper bag I regained my composure, paused, crossed my fingers, and closed the browser window. I waited the requisite few seconds then opened her up again, a silent phrase of prayer running through my feeble brain (Giggles is at it again upstairs - playing the crappiest of music while we try to retire for the evening). Fortunately a split second later she reopened (the browser that is, not Giggles - ewwww), and my yahoo home page sprung to life. Sigh....sweet, sweet technology. Where would I be if I couldn't blog?! No, no...some thoughts are too difficult to process, the mind boggles and shuts down out of self preservation. Let's not take a mental trip down that scary, scary road, shall we?

Moving on...

As my happy yahoo browser's bright colours filled the screen, the following words of inspiration sprang from the screen:

The most desirable divas
Who would you pick as your fantasy girlfriend?


**I'd include the link to the original article but the link feature is failing me right now...tempted to make a 'boo technology' statement but I can't refute myself a mere two paragraphs later on in the same post**

OOOH!!! This is a question I could totally answer! I know who my diva girlfriends would be, no question! Thus today's blog post was spawned. Now, before I reveal to you my fantasy girlfriends, I must say that upon further review of the article (ie after I clicked on it) I was shocked and chagrined to notice that they weren't talking 'girlfriends' in the gal pal use of the word - they were referring to boy meets girl girlfriend. Boo... My excitement to view the ladies other gals would love to latte with vanished before my back button could return me to my previous state of elation.

But that doesn't mean I can't still tell you who would be on the membership roster of my very own diva posse!

Are you excited? Sitting in your chair, reading with sweet anticipation? Astounded at just how important knowing this rather trivial tidbit of information (in the grand scheme of things, anyway) has suddenly become? Okay, okay, I won't keep you in suspense any longer. You've been so good to me thus far, stuck with me through thick and thin - hell, you come back here to read my rambling missives on topics of no great import on a somewhat regular basis - so here we go.

My number one celebrity gal pal, given the choice of all the celebs in the known universe, is none other than Jann Arden. Surprised? I thought you might be. No, it's not Aretha or anyone of her pedigree (true divas all, but not at the top of my 'let's get shitfaced and talk about nothing' gal pal list). It's our down home Canadian gal Jann. We could pound back a shot or two and really have some great times, methinks.

I honestly believe, and I say this with the least amount of stalker-esque undertones possible, that we really could be very good friends were our diva paths ever to cross. She has a fantastic sense of humour (as I hope and, yeah, believe that I do), she's an incredible singer/songwriter (me singer yes, songwriter not a hope in hell), she's against Canada's participation in the middle eastern conflict but is totally behind the PEOPLE serving (as am I), and most importantly, she's not afraid to be who she is and say what's on her mind, consequences be damned. My philosophy exactly, as you may have been able to ascertain in reading a month's worth of my ramblings.

For those of you that may not be familiar with her or her music - you MUST head to www.jannarden.com before you can read any further.

I'll wait.....










Wasn't that awesome? Her new album is coming out Tuesday and tickets for her concert go on sale Monday, the same day as we take possession of our new house. Coincidence? I think not...

I'd love to even have a cup of jo with Jann. I'd like to think that I'd be all calm and normal-like, no big deal, she's just a regular person having a cup of coffee. With me. But I know I'd find a way to turn into a bumbling idiot and would probably say something un-diva-like until I hit my stride and got over myself. Alas...it would still be a kick ass experience.

Enough about Jann for today. I don't want her or her people to stumble upon my blog and add me to some high security watch list of crazy folk they need to protect her from. I'm a lover, not a stalker. I blog because I love.

** side note - yeah, like Jann or her clan actually sit around and troll the blogs looking for references to her or her work. Yeesh - talk about your inflated sense of self worth! But just in case - hi Jann! Coffee?? **

Anyhoodles, I can feel myself rambling more than usual tonight. Hubs is beside me in bed, snoring away, Giggles is rolling all around her room in that stupid rolling chair that I have secret daydreams of reducing to kindling, and they're about to do the weather on the local news - time for this diva to get some much needed beauty sleep.

Before I go, I'll add a few more names to my fantasy celebrity dinner party - my diva girls night in, if you will. Dinner for 8 sounds like a nice, round number!

Me
Jann
Drew Barrymore
Janeane Garofalo
Bridget Jones (not Renee Zeilweiger - Bridget Jones)
Cameron Diaz (as she was in The Sweetest Thing)
Christina Appelgate (ditto)
Jennifer Garner, Alias style

How the hell fun would that dinner party be??

And just 'cause I can (it's my blog, after all), here's a short list of gals who'd never make it past my front door because I can't freakin stand them:

Shakira
Sandra Bullock (only 'cause Hubs likes her too much - gotta protect my turf)
Tyra Banks
Mary Hart

I'm sure there are many, many more but that's all I've got in the tank at the moment.

So I now throw the question out to you, my lovely diva readers - who's your famous dream girl coffee date? Come on in and let me know who tops your list. And don't worry - I won't take offense if I don't see my own name there in print. We both know my seat at the table is a given.

And that's your daily dash. How's your diva doin'?

6 comments on "Divas love company..."

Anonymous said...

Hmmm.... this might be a little of a surprise but Camryn Manheim. I read her book awhile back and her sense of humour is just so off the wall. She seems like an interesting person that I could have long conversations with.

Other than that - Oprah of course! And Rosie just cause I agree with alot of her thoughts on issues and stuff. I might have to add Elisabeth for a little contraversy! LOL

Oh! and Kate Winslet! She's seems fabulous!

Grimeysgal from WB

Anonymous said...

Mary Hart? Where'd that come from?

Hmmmm....I'd have to pick Jennie Garth. I've always liked her since 90210. Go figure?!

divajen on 2 February 2007 at 12:25 said...

Camryn Manheim - yep, I could see that. Haven't read the book, but I get what you're saying.

Rosie was another one on my list from way back when, so that I can completely understand. Good picks!

As for Mary Hart...I can't explain it, but I just can't stand her. Remember the whole epilepsy at the sound of her voice thing? Yeah, happens to me except I just start freaking out and throwing things at the tv. I'm sure she's a lovely woman, but we don't catch a lot of Entertainment Tonight in our house.

Anonymous said...

I *HEART* Bridget Jones!!!

Some excellent choices for gal pals. If I had to choose it would be Kate Winslet in "The Holiday" or Jennifer Aniston as Rachel on Friends.

Have a happy weekend!

first_2b_abride from WB

Anonymous said...

My list:

Ellen - I love her. She's so funny, and I think she would be really kind.

Queen Latifah - Don't know why, I just like her.

Oprah - No explanation necessary.

Rosie - I love anyone who bans the f-word (fat) from their lives and teaches that to their children.

Nelly Furtado - Just because she is my fave singer, and I think she would be interesting to chat with.

Sarah McLaughlin - Same as above.

And if they were still alive today:

My grandmother - The ultimate lady.

Princess Diana - Cause she's a princess, but I don't think that an explanation is required. It all goes back to watching the royal wedding as a young child.

Unknown on 17 July 2007 at 20:13 said...

Just found your blog through a friend, so I'm obviously late, but I agree with your top three for sure.

Jann Arden
Drew Barrymore
Janeane Garofalo (Truth about Cats & Dogs is the bestest movie ever)

Followers

 

Welcome

This many divas have come to read my rants since January 30, 2007:


'Cause everyone has a dash of diva in them Copyright 2008 Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez