Wednesday 7 February 2007

There are a few things I'll miss....


As of tomorrow, we're one week away from moving day. Very exciting, I must admit. Hard to believe at the same time, but mostly I can't freakin wait to be out of here.

Having said that, I must admit that there are a few things I'll miss about this place I've called home for the past seven years. One - proximity to work. Half an hour, door to desk, even on a bad day. As much as I bitch and complain about the TTC (and I do it sooooo well and for very good reason) I will miss the simple fact that if I miss a train, another will be by momentarily to whisk me away to work. Not so with the GO train....but I am looking forward to actually getting a seat, traveling above ground, and the blissful sense of quiet that is the polar opposite of our friendly subway.

What else will I miss? Let's see...Pad Thai and Pineapple Chicken from Royal Thai Gardens. Sooooo good, and not too expensive. I've ordered from them for years, and there's no way they deliver where we're headed. I had a craving tonight, so we placed our final order from them and wished our delivery guy the best of luck. He was very sad to hear we were going and no wonder - I'm sure over the years I've given them enough to send a child or two to university. They should name a scholarship after me or something - the Diva Pad Thai Scholarship for Kids of the Restaurant Owners. Has a nice ring to it. Kinda like the Zoolander School for Kids Who Can't Read Good...ah, the legacies we leave.

The last thing I'll miss is the darkness of our bedroom. I know that might sound rather ridiculous, but I've become quite accustomed to the virtual pitch blackedness of the space - the benefit of houses being close together and no real light ever permeating the space. When we slip into bed at night, once I've draped something over the LED display of our respective alarm clocks, you cannot see an inch in front of your face.

And it's absolutely glorious. I slip into slumber with nary a beam of light to distract me. I don't think we'll get that at the new place.

There's always a chance of course, but since there's nothing of a structural nature blocking our bedroom window - our EAST facing bedroom window, booooooooo - I'm seriously doubting I'll ever again replicate the beautiful blackness I've been spoiled with all these years.

Guess the three bathrooms, four bedrooms, storage galore, open concept kitchen, separate living and dining room and garage will have to valiantly attempt to make up for the darkness. Worth a try! I know one thing - I'm certainly up to testing the theory.

Everyone asks if I'm sad to leave the current place and my response is always a quick and emphatic 'no'. But as the actual departure date draws nearer, should I be asked the question again I might pause a bit, thinking of these things I'll miss. But let me tell you what - the answer itself will never waver for a second. I can't fu(king wait to get the hell outta here and into OUR home.

Especially once it's all painted and prettied - a palace transformed. Then, and only then, will it truly be worthy of this diva and her fabulous husband.

And that's your daily dash. How's your diva doin'?

3 comments on "There are a few things I'll miss...."

Anonymous said...

I'm going to miss your apartment too, it seems like we've heard so about it!! Loved your blog entry today. We are still in our apartment, and just cannot decide if we're grown up enough to move out.

Let us know how the new house goes...and maybe add some pics??

-Shoe_Gal

Anonymous said...

Oh - how I understand your dilemma! Although our move is a bit farther than yours - ie. anothe province. I miss all those things that you take for granted when you live someplace. Right now I have no idea where the good restaurants/take out places are and Thai food - is at least a 30min drive away! Boo! Looking forward to seeing pics of your new pad too! I'm sure it'll be great!

Anonymous said...

rofl - the diva pad thai scholarship, you killed me!

GMS

Followers

 

Welcome

This many divas have come to read my rants since January 30, 2007:


'Cause everyone has a dash of diva in them Copyright 2008 Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez